Tuesday, 16 February 2010

Task Two..//Wayfinding\\

Through researching about the phrase 'wayfinding' and 'environmental sign systems' the first and maybe the most understanding example that came to my mind was "London Underground's signs'.

I have been living in London for more than 7 years now... and I have been lost and confused in different places such as, buildings and streets, even those with signs. However, I can always find my way around while using the tube public transport in London, when in those stations that I have never been before.
Once you learn and understand the different colors for different lines, and know that the yellow arrow is used to show the way out of the station, you will be able to travel in any part of London, and you don't read anything at all. All the colors and signs of this system will become so well known to you and your memory that you can operate automatically as soon as u glance at the signs.


Strength: Easy to navigate your way- Simple signs- No need on knowing the language-Usable for any time and country-

Weakness: Lack of design and graphics- sometimes difficult to identify the similar colors-



http://www.tfl.gov.uk/microsites/interchange/82.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment